We may not have imagined that 2020 would bring such a need for outdoor living spaces, but it certainly has! Since travel and entertainment outside of the home is a bit limited right now, it’s the perfect time to create a getaway in your own backyard. The ideal outdoor living space combines beauty, functionality, a little bit of technology, and a whole lot of comfort.
Creating your perfect outdoor oasis is among our favorite things to do at Epic Group, and we have a few tips that can help you take your outdoor entertainment area to the next level and make it … well, epic!
- Be Prepared for Rain or Shine – A true game-changer for your outdoor space, StruXure’s™ patented louvered pergola lets you control the elements. Okay, maybe not ALL of the elements … nothing can help those winter temperatures!
The Pergola X is a modern day pergola that has the technology to open, close, pivot, and slide depending on your needs. It can detect precipitation and close automatically for Ohio’s infamous pop-up showers, and the uniquely designed louvers pivot a full 170°, allowing you to control the amount of sun that you want coming into your space. Yes, it really is that cool!
- Take Your Cooking Al Fresco – We are not talking about adding a grill to your back patio. We mean take your outdoor barbeque to a whole new level with a full outdoor kitchen. Customizations can include framed-in cabinets, countertops, sinks, a wine fridge (of course!), and even a pizza oven.
Of course, regardless of whether your outdoor kitchen is constructed with stone or brick, full- or half-walls, decorative backsplashes, or coordinated flooring, you will want to protect it from the elements. Pro tip: Check out #1 above.
- Incorporate Unique Storage – Part of your outdoor kitchen should include plenty of cabinet space, but because space is often at a premium in outdoor living areas you also may need to get creative. Every outdoor living area is different, but you still need some storage for your outside space.
From double-duty furniture to compact containers, creative storage ideas can keep everything from your gardening tools to entertaining supplies and decor items from getting ruined or misplaced.
- Create Atmosphere with Lighting – Just like inside your home, lighting can help set the mood for your outdoor living space. A combination of outdoor and landscape lighting can create the atmosphere you want by providing different layers of light.
Use ceiling lights, chandeliers, and fans for general lighting, while adding unique decorate fixtures that add character. You can also include task lighting over counters and bar areas. A portable lamp can help create a cozy reading nook or a relaxing conversation area.
- Ensure Comfort with Airflow – It’s probably fair to say that the outdoor temperature in Ohio is not always ideal, which is one of the reasons for the popularity of patio covers. But even with standard covers, there are times you may want to increase the flow of air and enjoy a refreshing breeze while still in the shade. A louvered pergola, such as Pergola X, can make a huge difference over a standard solid cover that provides shade, but tends to limit airflow.
- Get Smart – Technology is everywhere inside your home, adding security and convenience to just about everything. Similarly, there is a wide range of technology available for your outdoor living space.
Technology allows you to keep everything you need for a comfortable experience right at your fingertips. With an app on your phone you can control your StruXure™ Pergola, lighting, outdoor fans, and speaker systems, so that you can focus on relaxing and enjoying time with your friends and family.
At Epic Group, we would love the opportunity to talk with you about creating a true backyard oasis for your family. Contact us or stop in our office in the quaint Historic Dublin, where our footprint began. Be sure to follow along on Instagram and Facebook for inspiration and ideas, or to see our next Epic project.